Tuesday, April 12, 2011

THE ROLLER SHADE……redefined!

I am continuing from my last post with this seemingly boring subject as this is the time of year when we are inundated with roller shade questions, orders and repairs….and I thought maybe I would just share a few tidbits on this subject……then I’ll move on to something more interesting and beautiful!!!!!

dsroller_clutch_diningroom_1

The saying, “you’ve come along way, baby”, fits this product aptly.  I spoke in my last post about the quirky attributes of the “original” roller shade apparatus – the spring tension roller.  Yes, it can drive you mad but some people still somehow choose to  buy and use it despite the warning labels of possible insanity!

dsroller_clutch_livingroom_3

However, crafty engineers have enabled us to progress far from the threat of straightjackets by developing a continuous cord clutch mechanism that raises and lowers the shade with such sumptuous ease! 

HDdesignerroller_closed

Now I realize that I am not telling you something that you don’t already know as these have been on the market for quite some time.  They have revolutionized the popularity of roller shades and new fabric options are exploding off the design table into the marketplace (and puhleeeze, I am not talking about the shade fabric with the imprint of your favorite sport’s team logo!)

shade fabric

These new fabrics being introduced each year are classy, with a variety of designs, colors, textures, and opacities.

designerroller_clutch_livingroom_2

Here is where I insert the big BUT……….not all roller shades clutches are made alike.  Buyer beware……some manufacturers like to skimp on quality and will make you once again look in the attic for that straightjacket if you "”chose poorly.”   Of course, if it is made by Hunter Douglas, you are wise and “chose well.”

Three bits of advice from someone who has held the tissue box for many a weepy client that  bought cheap less expensive roller shades…..  and I will say no more:

1.  Wide shades, larger than 48” in width, should be put on large diameter rollers (more than 1 1/8”) and don’t let anyone tell you different!

2.  Small or narrow shades should be put on large diameter rollers.   Believe me…they roll straighter….even with a clutch.  (I can see the nods of approval of those that have watched a narrow shade on a “skinny roller” track off center as they raise it.  You know what I mean!)

3.  Inexpensive fabrics on those  inexpensive shades you purchased can stretch and warp….thus waving and fraying…..thus the weeping and gnashing of your teeth as you try to operate them.   You get what you pay for!

Please feel free to send me any questions regarding your rascal shade or better yet….stop by with it…..I have the tissue box waiting!!

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.”

William A. Foster

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...