Saturday, May 21, 2011

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions!

Living is a constant process of deciding what we are going to do.

- Jose Ortega

Blackeyed susans

Now that spring is waning and summer looks promising (even for us here in Michigan!), I am faced with the dilemma of what to plant in my flower boxes at the back entrance of my store.  It is another gamble though not determined so much by the weather this time as by whether or not the plants will survive the caretaker – me! 

I am pathetic unlucky when it comes to nurturing plants in any kind of environment.  I can almost hear them weeping when I pick them up for purchase at the local floral nursery.  They sense doom!

However, I love flowers…..

“Flowers are restful to look at. They have neither emotions nor conflicts.” ~Sigmund Freud

geranium

Geraniums are one of my favorites and they are fairly sturdy and hardy (as in not easy to kill) and always look so cheerful!

thyme

I like to add herbs like thyme……

rosemary

and rosemary……the fragrance is wonderful wafting into the showroom when someone opens the door.

stella_d'oro

I already have Stella  d’oro lilies successfully inhabiting my boxes now so these new additions should make a pretty mix…….if I can keep them alive!!!  They must survive full sun and hot conditions off a black top parking lot, but we water them faithfully every morning, even making a special trip down on Sunday morning when the store is closed (or I should truthfully admit I send my husband down to water them!) 

I would dearly love helpful hints as to the proper fertilizer to use for flower boxes and these types of flowers or any suggestions as to a better choice of flowers to plant……and, NO, I will not  use plastic or silk flowers!     (…….though I have in the past when a gapping hole is produced by an occupants death)

Suggestions welcomed…..

Bread feeds the body, indeed, but flowers feed also the soul.  ~The Koran

2 comments:

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

I've found that starting with really, really good soil is the key to a fabulous garden! Good luck, I'm sure you'll do fine.

Thanks so much for your visit and sweet comment on my blog! You have a lovely place here and I'm sure I'll visit often. Edward and I welcome you anytime!

Maison de lin said...

Hello,

I wish you good luck whit your flowers, i'm sure you'll do fine. And mayby one day you have a "hameau" to put your flowers. :-)

Greetings from Belgium
Jérôme

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...